Beauty Style

Coconut Coffee Body Scrub

Wellness. You probably heard of it, or even spend a day or two at a spa/wellness hotel and might have been lucky enough to experience a little pampering. Or you have treated yourself at home with a relaxing bath, scented candles and a facial mask. To be honest, until about two years ago I haven’t been that interested in wellness, I have never been further than running a bath for myself and light some candles, which is rather a shame given the fact that treating oneself is so important in hectic everyday life, it’s good for your skin and good for your head.

I sometimes think that when you’re young you like to living the fast life, you don’t care as much for your health as you should be and since wellness treatments prove to be rather expensive you usually spend the money on something else. But I might be wrong. For me all had started about two years ago when my former boss (I worked at a women’s fitness club) gave me a voucher for a Thai massage just around the corner. I was nervous since I wasn’t used to being touched by a stranger, especially when only wearing panties. But this massage opened worlds to me, my nudity soon forgotten. Since then I slowly feel me towards experiences like sauna or Turkish bath, and I’m always astounded how relaxed I am afterwards. And I realised that while such a treatment is wonderful once in a while, it can be rather expensive, and it occurred to me that a remedy can be provided: Having some wellness at home with this body scrub!

You need:

• 1 cup of coconut oil
  • 1 cup of coarsely ground coffee
  • 1 cup of coconut flakes
  • ½ cup of Epsom salts
  • Some vanilla flavour
  • Small preserving jar
  • Small wooden flour scoop

scrub-1This is easily done: Melt one cup of coconut oil in a double boiler or the microwave. When it’s liquid, add the coffee, coconut flakes and Epsom salt. Stir with a spoon, then add as much vanilla flavour as you like.

Fill the mixture into an airtight preserving jar.

scrub-2If you want to, craft a fancy label for your body scrub using letter stamps and a black marker. With a nice ribbon, tie the wooden flour scoop to the jar.

What can I say? It smells heavenly of coconut, coffee and vanilla, which are coincidentally my favourite scents and flavours. And I have read that both caffeine, coconut oil and Epsom salts are incredibly good for your skin, so that’s a wonderful boost for your morning routine, right? Hope you are inspired!

Signature

You Might Also Like

15 Comments

Kelsey
    12th January 2016 at 4:10 am

This must smell amazing! Great idea for a gift. Thanks!

• Michelle
      Michelle
      12th January 2016 at 6:50 am

Yes it does, especially the coffee smells heavenly!

Emily
    12th January 2016 at 4:57 pm

This sounds fantastic! I agree – when you are first out on your own as a young adult, the last thing you want to spend time/money on are things like “wellness.” But now, in my 30’s, that’s what I want! Question – would this be as good without the coconut flakes? I’m not a big fan of coconut. http://www.enchantinglyemily.com

• Michelle
      Michelle
      12th January 2016 at 5:12 pm

You’re right! Although I’m in my early twenties I like to treat myself to some wellness, but for obvious reasons it’s often too expensive (so always a perfect gift for me). So it’s nice to have some wellness at home, and it’s always even nicer when you work with ingredients you know! Of course you can leave out the coconut flakes or replace them with some brown sugar for example!

Juju Sprinkles
    12th January 2016 at 11:18 pm

What a great start to a healthy new year! Can’t wait to try the scrub. This is good for my skin and my wallet =)

Juju Sprinkles

• Michelle
      Michelle
      13th January 2016 at 8:09 am

You’re right, it’s really not expensive and amazing for your skin! Glad you like it!

Stephanie R
    14th January 2016 at 1:00 am

I bet this smells amazing! Im totally pinning this to make later!

• Michelle
      Michelle
      14th January 2016 at 8:33 am

Yes it does, it’s a wonderful mixture of scents. Glad you like it!

Mia Pauletić
    18th January 2016 at 1:19 am

Looks amazing 🙂

miapauletic.blogspot.hr

• Michelle
      Michelle
      18th January 2016 at 9:00 am

Annie Abbey
    22nd January 2016 at 1:45 pm

I love this! It is like homemade Frank’s Bod! This is definitely on my D.I.Y. list now!
    xx Annie

• Michelle
      Michelle
      22nd January 2016 at 5:01 pm

How wonderful, I’m glad you like the project 🙂

Inspiration | DIY Present Guide For Her - Make&Mess
    14th December 2016 at 10:59 am

[…] Coconut Coffee Body Scrub: Winter tends to dry out our skin, and the best way to keep it smooth is to remove dead skin cells. This body scrub not only does that but wakes you and your skin up with its heavenly coffee smell! […]

DIY | Apothecary Jar Coffee Candle - Make&Mess
    6th June 2018 at 5:00 pm

[…] you can! Just make it yourself! Now, speaking of the wonderful brown liquid, have you tried my Coconut Coffee Scrub […]

DIY | When Life Gives You Lemons – Make Vitalizing Lemon Sugar Body Scrub! - Make&Mess
    8th August 2018 at 5:00 pm

[…] it helps against skin blemishes! Sounds awesome, right? However, you shouldn’t use a body scrub like this onenot more than once to twice a week, because it may harm the acid coat of your skin. Thus, drying it […]