Eating Savoury Recipes

Tapenade

There are things that are given from mother to daughter, sometimes consciously (recipes, jewellery) and sometimes daughters adopt things without actually noticing, and for me it was always the way of cooking. My mother used to make so-called ‘Friday plates’ and the family would gather in the living room around the coffee table and eat all sorts of tapas from a wooden board. What can I say, I have definitely come to like this tradition and I repeat it as often as I can.

Sometimes my mom marinated feta (find the recipe here), made wraps out of cooked ham and asparagus and everything you can imagine. Cheese was an integral part. And lately she started to make this special paste which I came to love rather quickly.

Tapenade is an olive paste originating in the Southern French kitchen and normally contains stoned olives, anchovies and capers. If you’d ask me a few years back I would have run from every single one of these ingredients. Olives are usually hated in childhood (correct me if I’m wrong) and I don’t want to start with the capers, honestly, I am just now starting to like them. But somehow, this paste got me, it has this saltiness, a bit of sourness and a whole lot of olive. I love it.

You need:

• 150 g of black olives
  • 50 g of green olives
  • 40 g of capers
  • 15 cl of olive oil
  • 2-3 anchovies
  • 2-3 cloves of garlic
  • Some lemon juice

It’s as simple as that: Take a tall vessel and add olives, anchovies, capers and garlic. With an immersion blender blend everything while slowly adding the olive oil. Taste with a bit of lemon juice and blend until you’re happy with the texture.

I must say, this paste is definitely for people who love olives, anyone below that mental line will find it a bit too much. You know how it is, there are the ones who could eat olives every day (and even like it in their cocktail) and then there are the ones who cannot even stand the smell of them. Well, you can definitely drive them away with this!

Signature

You Might Also Like

9 Comments

yuka
    27th January 2016 at 6:19 pm

oh wow this looks delicious! i love olives!

• Michelle
      Michelle
      27th January 2016 at 8:51 pm

Thanks 🙂

Emily
    27th January 2016 at 6:28 pm

I’ve never tried tapenade before, but I don’t like any olives other than black olives, so I have a feeling I wouldn’t be a big fan of this. I have seen it called for in recipes before, though, so I’m glad I finally know what it is! Also – I added you to my blogroll today on my website. I figured I’ve been stalking your blog enough lately – it’s time to throw some credit over your way!

• Michelle
      Michelle
      27th January 2016 at 8:53 pm

Wow, thank you very much! I feel so flattered, I hope I won’t disappoint you haha 🙂

TOUCHOFGUCCI
    28th January 2016 at 11:10 am

Yumm! This looks delicious! Can’t wait to give these a go! x

TOUCHOFGUCCI // BLOGLOVIN

• Michelle
      Michelle
      28th January 2016 at 4:21 pm

I am so glad you like it!

Annie Abbey
    28th January 2016 at 1:52 pm

My husband is OBSESSED with olive tapenade and I have always found it strange until he forced me to eat it in recent years. It is so much better than I thought it would be and it is so helpful in cooking! Thanks for sharing!
    xx Annie

• Michelle
      Michelle
      28th January 2016 at 4:21 pm

Glad you like it! It’s really funny, you either love the stuff or you hate it 🙂

Treats | Easy & Delicious Smoked Salmon Spread - Make&Mess
    30th October 2018 at 6:39 pm

[…] addition to any cheese and cutlery board, and also a nice companion to my Mediterranean hummus and Tapenade! With these three spreads, you’re definitely prepared for any dinner party! What do you […]