Decoration DIY

DIY | IKEA Hack: Spring Vanity Tray

When it comes to decorating, there is one thing I love most: IKEA hacks! But I guess you do as well, since there are at least a thousand out there. Isn’t it great to spend just little money and transform a piece into something that looks like it’s worth a hundred bucks? This vanity tray is surely no exception, and it is amazingly easy to craft.

My favourite hacks are usually the ones where you add some paint, preferably gold, or marble foil to make IKEA furniture look like it’s from Anthropologie. Okay, that’s maybe a little exaggerated, but the results do look awesome. For this vanity tray I just used a simple white Ikea picture frame and some Ikea handles. Simple as that!

The Tutorial

You need:

For this one you’ll have to start work a bit earlier! Select you favourite flowers, pick the petals and press them between two sheets of paper. Weight them down with some heavy books and leave them to dry a few weeks.

Although the handles were already in a brass colour, I wanted to make them shine a bit more. So unpack the handles and spray-paint them with golden paint. Leave them to dry outside. In the meantime, remove everything from the picture frame for your tray.

Take the cardboard frame you removed from the picture frame and use it as a template for a sheet of white paper. Mark the area of the inner frame. When your petals are ready, start gluing them to the area you marked on the piece of paper. Be careful, because they’re very delicate! And don’t worry if you glue beyond the edges, you won’t see that area later on.

When the handles are ready, glue them to the right and left side of the picture frame to make the tray. Use a glue gun for that. Now turn the frame around, and add the glass, the cardboard frame, your petal picture and the back of the picture frame. That’s it!

I’m surprised how easy this was and how good the tray looks! I’ll be using it for all those perfumes scattered around the bedroom. But you can basically use it for anything, cosmetics, votives, whatever you like. And the best part is: You can switch the background of the tray, I can imagine adding a marble background or even a photo. Hope you are inspired!

You Might Also Like

12 Comments

Lisa
    8th May 2017 at 2:09 pm

This is such a good idea! Using a frame as a tray – genius! And the petals make it so pretty.

• Michelle
      Michelle
      8th May 2017 at 2:11 pm

Thank you very much, I’m so glad you like it!

Laura
    9th May 2017 at 4:27 am

That turned out SO good!!! I love CK Euphoria too…such good stuff:)

Laura

• Michelle
      Michelle
      9th May 2017 at 1:57 pm

Haha, cool! I really like it as well, although I’m usually a Boss Orange kind of girl 🙂

Inspiration | My Favourite IKEA Hacks: 10 Ideas - Make&Mess
    10th May 2017 at 5:13 pm

[…] I know there are a million ideas out there, but I wanted to focus on the simpler projects here. The ones where you just add some colour or adhesive foil for example, to make a dresser look more expensive. I actually made one myself last week, check it out if you want! […]

Inspiration | How To Style Your Work Desk in 3 Steps - Make&Mess
    7th June 2017 at 7:34 pm

[…] more cool things. Plus I’d like to get a rectangular trey for my stuff, or maybe I just use my Vanity Tray for that. Furthermore there are tons of tutorials to make your own wooden desk organisers, and you […]

Belle
    8th June 2017 at 11:50 am

Wow. So clever!! It’s looks expensive 🙂

• Michelle
      Michelle
      8th June 2017 at 11:52 am

What a nice compliment, thank you very much

Paula
    5th July 2017 at 4:27 am

Wow! Your’e a genius, I love this. I too am totally obsessed by Ikea hacks – we don’t have Ikea herre in New Zealand but Kmart does some pretty similar stuff 😉 Thanks for the inspiration.

• Michelle
      Michelle
      5th July 2017 at 8:14 am

You’re so kind to say that, I feel flattered! I guess you can craft this as well with a dollar store picture frame and a pair of handles from the hardware store

Elly Gibson | Curious Disposition
    16th July 2017 at 5:25 pm

Oh my gosh, how lovely! I honestly don’t know why I’ve never thought of this before. I may take your idea (and credit you for the inspiration of course) at some point.
    Great blog! I’ll have to bookmark ya. 😉

Elly

• Michelle
      Michelle
      16th July 2017 at 5:41 pm

Of course you can do that, I feel honored when you adapt my idea!