Hullo crazy DIY people, today I want to dig into the magic of polymer clay! Do you remember the crafting sessions as a kid when you would make the coolest jewellery out of colourful polymer clay? Although I haven’t worked a while with this stuff, it’s absolutely amazing to craft statement jewellery, even as an adult. As a kid I remember making this heart shaped pendant out of red and white clay, and I haven’t really crafted with it until I started my blog. Which is a shame, because you can make amazing earrings like these ones and these ones, or even statement necklaces like this one. And since the statement earring is THE thing now, I wanted to try my hand at my own version.
And it’s sooo much fun to really take your time and craft something again for a few hours! Usually after I get back from vacation, especially such an eventful one as this, I fall into a little hole. Meaning I really really don’t like to get back to reality and the daily routine…but I guess that’s everyone’s dilemma. However, I have so many good things to look forward to at the moment. First of all, our yearly trip to the Netherlands is coming up this weekend (yay!), then I will spend a week in beautiful South Tyrol again next month. AND, I will start a new job in October and couldn’t be more excited! So much food stuff going on at the moment. But let’s focus again on these polymer clay statement earrings:
- Polymer Clay in Black, White, Marble
- Golden metal foil
- Mountain crystal sticks
- Nail polish (in a colour of your choice)
- Golden end caps
- 4 large jump rings
- 2 ear studs
- Super glue
- Jewellery Pliers
- Sharp knife
- Alright, let’s start this beautiful little project. First, take a piece each of the black and marble polymer clay and form to strands. Then, wrap these strands around each other and roll the new strand out again. Fold that new strand in half and twist it again. Repeat this a few times, form a ball and roll it. Just like I did in my Marble Bib Necklace tutorial!
- Now, cut out two semicircle shapes with a sharp knife and poke two holes in the top and bottom of each semicircle. With the white polymer clay, form a ball and carefully cut it into two halves. Then cut off portions of each half to make it look cut. Poke a hole into the bottom. These holes will connect the parts of the earring!
- In a next step, bake the polymer pieces in the oven according to the instructions on the package. In the meantime, glue the golden end caps to the two mountain crystal sticks and cut two smaller semicircles out of the golden metal foil.
- When the polymer clay pieces are done, paint the two round parts with nail polish and let them dry. Then glue the metal foil semicircles to the marbled ones. Again, poke holes into the foil.
- Now it’s time to connect everything! First, attach the mountain crystal sticks with a jump ring to the bottom of the semicircles. Then connect the top of the semicircles to the ‘stones’. Now you just need to glue the ear studs to the back of the round parts and you’re done!
For your Pinterest Board:
First of all, I am soooo proud of these statement earrings! As I have probably written before, statement earrings were almost invisible with my long and thick hair. But now that I have shorter hair, I can totally show off some cool statement earrings like these ones. I even wear my Knotted Best Friend Bling Earrings more often. What I do like about statement jewellery is that you can wear the most boring outfit, but it’s instantly more interesting with such a piece! I hope I could inspire you!